One of my dear friends, Jessette, recently posted this on Facebook, “If you don’t like where you are, move. You are not a tree!” And move is what I did.
After using Blogspot aka Blogger for just a little over two years, I moved. I finally moved. My daddytravels.blogspot.com is now retired. Using Blogspot/Blogger was a great experience. I have nothing bad to say about Blogger, I learned many things along the way. But I wanted to try something new.
Why did I leave Blogger? Details are noted below. But before leaving here are some stats I’d like to share during my two years with Blogger:
Between Aug. 1, 2014 and Sept. 17, 2016:
- 90 – total # of published DaddyTravels posts
- 779 – # of days using Blogspot/Blogger
- 39,742 – # of page views or visits to my DaddyTravels site
All-Time Top 5 Blog Entries (# of page views)
- 1,087 – Czech List: Prague! Check!
- 800 – The Takeaways: Keep On Traveling (London, Budapest, Prague)
- 767 – Day One: Part 2 – Here Today, Gone to Maui
- 764 – Day One (Part 1): $11 per person to Maui? Yes, please!
- 635 – Day Eight Maui: Mahalo, Maui and the Takeaways + Video
All-Time Top Page Views by Country
- United States
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
All-Time Top Referring Sites
The Evolution of DaddyTravels
Although these stats were all courtesy of Blogspot since 2014, I actually started blogging in 2006 and I used Multiply’s blogging service back then. It allowed me to jot my thoughts down, shared a few pictures. But after a couple of years, Multiply deactivated their blogging service completely.
- Our traveling party of six have had the fortune of visiting for two weeks. We went from Los Angeles, spent a couple of days in NYC and traveled on to Italy (Milan, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Lake Como), Paris – this was in the Spring of 2015.
- Six months later, Nancy and I returned to Europe. In November and December 2015, we visited the United Kingdom (London), Hungary (Budapest), and the Czech Republic (Prague).
- Not even a year has passed and we decided to return back to Europe yet one more time. We brought our 7 and 10 year old with us and went on vacation for nearly 3 weeks to Lisbon, Barcelona, Madrid, and back to Paris. It was an ambitious itinerary with 2 little kids, but we did it.
Call me crazy but I had DAILY blog entries during most of my trips. Some people choose to rest or sleep after a long day of exploring a vacation destination. Me? No. I enjoy winding down with my Macbook Air on my lap. I use that time to reflect on the events that happened that day and I type my heart away. There was one trip to NYC where I didn’t blog during the entire trip and chose to write about it a week after returning back home to California. It just wasn’t the same. I had a harder time recalling the events that took place. So I made a choice, to write my blog while I’m on a trip, while everything is fresh in my memory.
After being gone on vacation during most of the month of August, I started to entertain the thought of improving my blog. As someone who reads other blogs, I like it when I can easily search for articles or content within a website. I like sites that allow me to maneuver around easily. I feel that my Blogspot site needed improvement. Whenever I wanted to share an entry or different entries, I ended up copying and pasting links, instead of just informing the reader to simply visit my site. So yes, I’ve decided it was time to shop around and improve my blog.
On Thursday night, I decided to check out WordPress. When it comes to website creation, or in this case, free blogging service, Blogger and WordPress were the clear choices. Just for the heck of it, I read and followed a couple of tutorials. I was concerned that I was going to start from scratch. I thought I wouldn’t be able to move my Blogspot content to WordPress. But moving to WordPress was so much easier than I thought. What was even more surprising was the amount of FREE templates available for me to choose. After I moved my content, all I had to do was to choose a template which gave me an idea how my site would look like.
After going over a dozen templates, I chose the Baskerville theme. I like the layout. It looks minimalistic. I don’t like it too busy or loud. The website geek reader in me was thrilled to now include Menus with dropdown options. It was like driving a nicely loaded car for the very first time with power windows, power door locks, GPS, air-conditioning ….you get the picture! So it kinda feels like I’ve been emancipated, a freedom of some sort , a chance for new beginning, a rejuvenation in the way I’ll be blogging moving forward.
My new website is still a work in progress. I really have no new travels to report or blog about. I do have trips brewing and coming up soon and I can’t wait to blog about it….this time from my new home address – daddytravels.wordpress.com. Thanks again for following my journey…a different journey…moving from one blogging service to another.