I woke up and saw a New Year’s flash from No
rwegian Air (no-frills budget airline from the US to Europe). Their website is bogged down with heavy traffic. Crazy one way
fares from Select US Cities to Europe from $135 or to The French Caribbean from $49.
As of 7:30am PT, here’s an example from Los Angeles to Oslo, Norway – $301.50 roundtrip…INSANE!!! While I use my miles and points when I plan a trip, this would be an exception when I might consider paying for this as opposed to using my miles/points.
For me, I would do an open-jaw…meaning, I would fly in to one city (Oslo), and then on my flight back, I will fly out of another (Copenhagen or other city/country). In my example below, it’s a flight from LAX to Oslo, Norway, and then returning out of Copenhagen,
Denmark back to Los Angeles.
How much? $357 TOTAL!!! There are many times you can’t even fly to Hawaii with that amount.
But, Jason, why should I do an open-jaw?
It’s a personal choice because I can hit up 2-3 other countries or cities from Norway. You can catch a train and/or another airline to do so. Since we’re doing budget airlines, you can also look at Ryanair or Easyjet or another booking with Norwegian.
Remember, Norwegian charges for extras should you want them.
– Discounted fares are from the US. Your return flight back to the US could be higher. So you have to factor that in. Looking at the example above, that’s not bad considering that’s a pretty long flight from the US to Europe.
– No-frills mean that you have to pay extra for preferred seating, additional luggage, food, water, (bring your own) etc. Check their website for details and add them all up. They are OPTIONAL. This means if you follow their rules, and not purchase all of their extra frills, you could really get to Europe for under $400 roundtrip.
– If website is down, you can try calling 1-800-357-4159
US Departure Cities:
-Oakland / San Francisco (OAK)
– New York (JFK)
– Baltimore / Washington (BWI)
– Fort Lauderdale/Miami (FLL)
That’s all folks…Happy New Year, and happy travels!!!