ADVERTISER DISCLOSURE: DaddyTravelsNow is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as MileValue.com This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
For many years, to me, a credit card was just a credit card. A piece of plastic that you use to swipe, charge something, wait for the statement, and then you pay the statement balance. But I’ve learned so many things about travel rewards cards, not only have these cards allowed me and my family to fly and travel around the globe for next to peanuts (using miles and points), but I’ve also learned ways to maximize the perks of my credit cards.
I surveyed members of my Facebook page, Daddy Travels Now, and asked folks if they knew anything about Amex offers from their American Express credit cards. I got a mixture of those who:
- Do know Amex Offers and use their offers
- Do know about Amex Offers but are not diligent in using them
- Do NOT know about Amex Offers
1. What are Amex Offers
According to AmexOfferFAQs:
Amex Offers is a program that saves you money or earns you points on shopping, dining and more. You can choose offers from brands you love and get discounts in the form of statement credits on your account or as extra points added to the rewards account associated with your Card account.
2. The 3 Reasons why you should use Amex Offers
- Savings, savings, savings – If I was already planning on purchasing something from a merchant, and that merchant happened to be featured as one of the Amex Offers, I might as well use my American Express credit card with that offer, that way I could get additional savings via statement credit.
- Points, points, points – some of these offers give additional bonus points (Membership Rewards), so heck, might as well get more points
- Help mitigate the costs of the annual fee – there are American Express card with and without annual fees. We have quite a few of those cards. Some fees are easy to swallow, others – ouch! But, using the offers make it bearable by getting the additional bonus points or statement credit. It helps ease the pain.
3. Which American Express cards have Amex Offers
As you can imagine, I have lots of American Express Cards and I’m almost certain that all of them have Amex Offers. Trust me, I’ve checked. So instead of giving you a laundry list of all of my cards that have Amex Offers, here’s a quick excerpt from American Express as to which cards are NOT ELIGIBLE to get Amex Offers.
Not Eligible: American Express® Corporate Cards, American Express® Gift Cards and Prepaid Cards are not eligible to participate.
4. How to check Amex Offers using the American Express App on your smartphone
- Sign in to your American Express credit card account
- Once you’re in the account, look at bottom of your smartphone screen
- Click on Offers to see your Amex Offers
- If you have Amex Offers, you will see what’s available to you on the next screen.
- Scroll down and choose the one that’s useful to you
Key things to keep in mind about Amex Offers
- You have to click Add to Card
- Where can you use the offer? In-store? Online? Physical location?
- What are the restrictions? Read the offer terms
- What’s the expiration date?
- What will you get once you use the offer? Additional points? Statement Credit?
5. How to check Amex Offers using your desktop computer
- Sign in to your American Express account from your computer
- Once you’re in your account, scroll down to where you see Amex Offers & Benefits
- You should see the first set of offers, and if you have more, click View All
- Scroll down and choose the one that’s useful to you
- Read the key things to keep in mind (see above)
6. Other things worth noting about Amex Offers
- Amex offers are targeted offers, if someone has an offer you didn’t get, you can’t call Amex to request the offer be added to yours
- I was told you can “train” your American Express to be targeted certain offers. One of my good friends, Emilia, mentioned that if you want the high-end type of offers, make sure to add them to your card, use them, and you’ll be getting more of the same offers in the future.
- Others have also reported that they just add ALL the offers to their card, and not really use all of them. From their experience, they were able to get more offers.
7. Not all Amex Offers are created equal
- Offers come in a form of credit or in some cases, additional Amex Membership Rewards Points Bonus (could be found on cards that offer Membership Rewards)
- Some offers give you a statement credit or cash back
- Credits or bonuses don’t always post immediately, some could take weeks. Read the details of the offer.
8. So you’ve got an Amex Offer to use, now what?
- Make sure to use the right American Express credit card when you make your purchase or transaction.
- If you did it correctly, you should get an email from American Express congratulating you that you that you’ve used or redeemed an Amex Offer
- Depending on the offer, just be on the lookout when the credit or bonus points post on to your account.
- Should things fail or appear delayed, work with an Amex agent and report the issue.
9. Don’t have any American Express Card that earns Membership Rewards?
Here are a few American Express Cards that I, myself, use on a regular basis. They have served me and my family well when it comes to earning bonus points and perks for traveling around the world.
Which credit cards offer American Express Membership Rewards
These are the following credit cards that earn you American Express Membership Rewards
Business Platinum Card® – Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of card.
The Platinum Card® from American Express – Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
American Express Gold Card – Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
American Express Business Gold – Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
American Express Green Card – Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months.
American Express Everyday Preferred Card – Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards Points back after they spend $1,000 in purchases on their new Card in their first 3 months