For many years, to me, a credit card was just a credit card. A piece of plastic that you use to swipe, charge something, wait for the statement, and then you pay the statement balance. But I’ve learned so many things about travel rewards cards, not only have these cards allowed me and my family to fly and travel around the globe for next to peanuts (using miles and points), but I’ve also learned ways to maximize the perks of my credit cards.
I surveyed members of my Facebook page, Daddy Travels Now, and asked folks if they knew anything about Amex offers from their American Express credit cards. I got a mixture of those who:
- Do know Amex Offers and use their offers
- Do know about Amex Offers but are not diligent in using them
- Do NOT know about Amex Offers
1. What are Amex Offers
According to AmexOfferFAQs:
Amex Offers is a program that saves you money or earns you points on shopping, dining and more. You can choose offers from brands you love and get discounts in the form of statement credits on your account or as extra points added to the rewards account associated with your Card account.
2. The 3 Reasons why you should use Amex Offers
- Savings, savings, savings – If I was already planning on purchasing something from a merchant, and that merchant happened to be featured as one of the Amex Offers, I might as well use my American Express credit card with that offer, that way I could get additional savings via statement credit.
- Points, points, points – some of these offers give additional bonus points (Membership Rewards), so heck, might as well get more points
- Help mitigate the costs of the annual fee – there are American Express card with and without annual fees. We have quite a few of those cards. Some fees are easy to swallow, others – ouch! But, using the offers make it bearable by getting the additional bonus points or statement credit. It helps ease the pain.
3. Which American Express cards have Amex Offers
As you can imagine, I have lots of American Express Cards and I’m almost certain that all of them have Amex Offers. Trust me, I’ve checked. So instead of giving you a laundry list of all of my cards that have Amex Offers, here’s a quick excerpt from American Express as to which cards are NOT ELIGIBLE to get Amex Offers.
Not Eligible: American Express® Corporate Cards, American Express® Gift Cards and Prepaid Cards are not eligible to participate.
4. How to check Amex Offers using the American Express App on your smartphone
- Sign in to your American Express credit card account
- Once you’re in the account, look at bottom of your smartphone screen, you will see these choices.
- Click on Offers to see your Amex Offers
- If you have Amex Offers, you will see what’s available to you on the next screen.
- Scroll down and choose the one that’s useful to you
- Here’s a sample:
Key things to keep in mind about Amex Offers
- You have to click Add to Card
- Where can you use the offer? In-store? Online? Physical location?
- What are the restrictions? Read the offer terms
- What’s the expiration date?
- What will you get once you use the offer? Additional points? Statement Credit?
5. How to check Amex Offers using your desktop computer
- Sign in to your American Express account from your computer
- Once you’re in your account, scroll down to where you see Amex Offers & Benefits
- You should see the first set of offers, and if you have more, click View All
- Scroll down and choose the one that’s useful to you
- Read the key things to keep in mind (see above)
6. Other things worth noting about Amex Offers
- Amex offers are targeted offers, if someone has an offer you didn’t get, you can’t call Amex to request the offer be added to yours
- I was told you can “train” your American Express to be targeted certain offers. One of my good friends, Emilia, mentioned that if you want the high-end type of offers, make sure to add them to your card, use them, and you’ll be getting more of the same offers in the future.
- Others have also reported that they just add ALL the offers to their card, and not really use all of them. From their experience, they were able to get more offers.
7. Not all Amex Offers are created equal
- Offers come in a form of credit or in some cases, additional Amex Membership Rewards Points Bonus (could be found on cards that offer Membership Rewards)
- Some offers give you a statement credit or cash back
- Credits or bonuses don’t always post immediately, some could take weeks. Read the details of the offer.
8. So you’ve got an Amex Offer to use, now what?
- Make sure to use the right American Express credit card when you make your purchase or transaction.
- If you did it correctly, you should get an email from American Express congratulating you that you that you’ve used or redeemed an Amex Offer
- Depending on the offer, just be on the lookout when the credit or bonus points post on to your account.
- Should things fail or appear delayed, work with an Amex agent and report the issue.
9. Don’t have any American Express Card that earns Membership Rewards?
Here are a few American Express Cards that I, myself, use on a regular basis. They have served me and my family well when it comes to earning bonus points and perks for traveling around the world.
American Express Everyday Preferred(Click here)
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points
- Minimum spend of $1,000 within the first 3 months.
- Plus, $0 Balance Transfer Fee.¤ Balance transfers must be requested within 60 days of account opening.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable APR
- NO ANNUAL FEE
Another one of my favorites, such an excellent card. Excellent use at grocery stores, and earn an additional 20% bonus when you make 20 or more purchases in a billing period.
American Express Gold (personal card) Click here
- Earn 40,000 Membership Reward bonus points
- Minimum spend $4,000 in purchases in your first 3 months
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- 4X Membership Rewards points on dining worldwide
- 4X Membership Rewards points at US supermarkets, on up to $25,000 per year in purchases
- Enhanced Dining Credit ($120) up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120.
- $100 Airline Fee credit
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $250 Annual Fee
American Express Blue Business Plus (click here)
Image courtesy of American Express
This is one of my default cards since I always get 2x per dollar on all my purchases.
Best part? NO annual fee.
- Currently offering 10,000 Membership Rewards points
- Meet $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2x with no category restrictions.
- No Annual fee
- Plus, get a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Reward bonus points
- Minimum spend $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months
- Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December
- 5X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel
5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com
- Receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees, such as checked bags and in-flight refreshments, are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card® Account
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck
- Access to Global Lounge Collection, including Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass
- $550 Annual Fee
American Express Business Platinum Click here
Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points. Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases on the Business Platinum Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Annual fee: $550
- $200 Airline Credit
- Access to Global Lounge and Priority Pass
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck (valued up to $100)
- 5x points on flights and eligible hotels
- 1.5x on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points
- Meet a minimum spend of $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- This offer ends 04/24/2019.
ANNUAL FEE $ 450.
- Click here to apply and for more details.
Key Features of Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card
Image courtesy of American Express
Many thanks to this card. We’ve stayed at the DoubleTree Hilton Grand Naniloa on the Big Island of Hawaii. We recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong and had a great upgrade overlooking the city.
- Earn 100,000 – great for Hilton brand hotels worldwide.
- Annual fee: Zero
- Minimum spend is $1,000 within 3 months
- EARN 7X HILTON HONORS BONUS POINTS for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- EARN 5X HILTON HONORS BONUS POINTS for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- EARN 3X HILTON HONORS BONUS POINTS on all other eligible purchases.
- NO FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE Enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
- COMPLIMENTARY SILVER STATUS Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status with your Card.‡ Plus, spend $20,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
Here’s a complete list of my trusted credit cards.
Make sure to find a card that will work for you and your travel redemption goals.
Other related resources: